Dubai Desert Classic Winners
Below is a list of previous Dubai Desert Classic winners since the inaugural tournament in 1989. However, the competitions in 1989 and 1990 were played under other titles. In 1991, the Dubai Desert Classic tournament did not take place.
- 2008 United States, Tiger Woods
- 2007 Sweden, Henrik Stenson
- 2006 United States, Tiger Woods
- 2005 South Africa, Ernie Els
- 2004 United States, Mark O’Meara
- 2003 Netherlands, Robert-Jan Derksen
- 2002 South Africa, Ernie Els
- 2001 Denmark, Thomas Bjørn
- 2000 Argentina, José Cóceres
- 1999 England, David Howell
- 1998 Spain, José María Olazábal
- 1997 Australia, Richard Green
- 1996 Scotland, Colin Montgomerie
- 1995 United States, Fred Couples
- 1994 South Africa, Ernie Els
- 1993 South Africa, Wayne Westner
- 1992 Spain, Ballesteros
2009 Dubai Desert Classic Popular Bets
Favourites to be 2009 Dubai Desert Classic winners are listed below. You can visit the William Hill golf betting site to put money on your favourite Dubai Desert Classic players.
Ernie Els would be an understandable punters choice for 2009 Dubai Desert Classic betting with a stroke average of 68.1. In nine previous appearances at the prestigious Emirates Golf Club, he has achieved three victories and has finished within the top three positions on seven occasions, never finishing under par.
In 1994, he scored an astonishing 12 birdies in one round on the first day of the tournament, setting a new record for the entire PGA European Tour. His score was 61 for the par 72 Majlis Championship Golf Course. The 11-under record is yet to be broken, granting Ernie Els favourable 2009 Dubai Desert Classic odds.
Tiger Woods might be making a comeback in the 2009 golf season after taking half the year off in 2008 to recover from knee surgery, in 2008 the current defending champion became the only other player (after Ernie Els) to win the Dubai Desert Classic more than once.
Other Winners and 2009 Dubai Desert Classic Odds
Another eight previous competition winners will be returning to the Majlis Championship Golf Course for the 2009 Dubai Desert Classic Golf Championship. Among them are Henrik Stenson (2007 winner) and OMeara, the 2004 winner and oldest Dubai Desert Classic winner.
Other past champions back for another round in 2009 are Colin Montgomerie, Richard Green, David Howell, Thomas Björn and Robert-Jan Derksen.